Friday, June 08, 2007

It is over

My thanks to everybody who supported us on this journey. Your hits on our blog, comments and e-mails always came at the right time, just when we needed a boost.

The last two days since we have arrived home have been a bit of a blur. Gary and I have had difficulties to think straight and even forming whole sentences has been a challenge.Today everything is much easier and we seem to be recovering.

I am so grateful that Gary and I have survived this journey together. We are still married, still talk to each other and even during the last week we had stuff to chat about over dinner. We took turns in who could walk faster and was in less pain and that person simply looked after the other. Our code of ‘How are you out of 10’ worked well until (nearly) the end. 1 is ‘I am feeling great, nothing is hurting’ and 10 is ‘I can not walk another step, I am really hurting badly’

We had the same rhythm and Gary always managed to cheer me up when I needed it. What helped us most was that we are persistent people and tend not to give up easily – who else would be mad enough to walk a marathon on the last day only to be able to sleep in ones own bed. (I am pretty sure that Gary was not totally honest with his code response during the last day. I am certain his shin gave him much more trouble than he admitted)

There are a couple of (surprising) items I would like to write about which turned to be essential for the success of our journey. But after that it seems that our blog is complete. I am really sad about that at the moment – we loved to check our page counter in the evenings when we had an internet connection to see how many hits we had on our blog and who left a message. It was nice to know we were connected to home.

No comments: