Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thank you

Late on Tuesday I bashed out a quick entry to tell everyone that we were home. My intention was to write something more substantial the following day. But whatever had kept us going for the previous 39 days ran out and yesterday we just did not feel capable of doing anything that required energy or clarity of thought.


On our walking days, we always had a target location to walk to. It was rarely an easy target and when we reached it, we generally felt that we could not walk another step. Manageable aches and pains and general tiredness all seemed to increase with proximity to our destination. Such seems to be the psychology of achieving difficult goals.


Reaching our ultimate goal seems to have had the same effect, increased by an order or two of magnitude. Whilst the journey was a wonderful and fun experience, getting up day after day at 7:30, excepting the 3 rest days, knowing that one is going to face a physical challenge, eventually takes its toll.


I had thought that I would want to write some reflections on the journey but, right now, I just feel like saying: “Yeah, we did it” and thanking you all for your support. So I think I will leave it there, at least for now, and simply close out with the final musical choices.


We didn't post a choice for our penultimate day but I can do so now. Jackson Browne makes another appearance with “Running on Empty” which is exactly how we felt.


For our final day, there are lots of contenders, not least Les's excellent suggestion. The theme from Mission Impossible comes to mind, as does “We Are the Champions” by Queen or a reprise of the overall theme of “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley.


But I have gone for something I really love, the celebratory and energetic: “Hey Ya!” by Outkast - here is the link to that wonderful video.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAB7yGQsYks


Thanks again to everyone who encouraged and supported us. And if you didn't donate to our charity then it isn't too late to do so here: http://www.justgiving.com/walkingtobavaria


By the way, I am sure Doris will also want to post and I will leave it to her to make any additional music choices.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Gary and Doris

So the pilgrimage is complete. What an achievement!

I guess you would want a couple of quiet days...

Looking forward to seeing you very soon - probably a few photos to look at?

Best as ever

Stephen