Thursday, May 10, 2007

If music be the food of...

Ok, we have fallen out of love with our hotel. Last night, the live music was safely locked inside, to escape the driving rain. Tonight, it is in the quadrangle immediately below our window, entertaining a large, well-oiled and raucous crowd with eternal classics such as “Una Paloma Blanca”.


I, on the other hand, having fallen asleep last night in a pleasant alcoholic haze and having been awoken by a cacophy or birdsong at 6 this morning, was looking forward to an early night under lovely clean sheets. Doris checked with reception and the music will go on until midnight. The audience who have already demonstrated, during the musical breaks, that they are more than capable of entertaining themselves without musical accompaniment, could well go on longer.


So all of my earlier, po-faced, public, breast beating about whether to be based here another night looks pretty much wasted – as indeed I will be if I wake up at 6 again tomorrow morning. It looks as if we will be moving on. Karma, on the topic of which I may well bore you another time, seems to have taken a hand and pushed us back on the road.


No doubt, I'll pleased about this tomorrow when we turn up somewhere unknown, happy but exhausted, with our rucksacks on our backs.


Yeah – back to the “pure” vision! How about a chorus of “When the Tough Get Going” as an encore?

1 comment:

Les said...

Gar,
I'm new to this blogging lark and sent an e-mail earlier instead of posting a comment. Won't repeat.
Maybe last nights song should have been "I predict a riot".